Side event: 2010 Euro-Africa Week on ICT Research & e-Infrastructures
Date & Venue:
7-10 December. Helsinki, Finland.
2010 Euro-Africa Week on ICT Research & e-Infrastructures will be held in Helsinki in early December. It will start with the 3rd Euro-Africa Forum on Information Communication Technology Research and go on with the 1st Euro-Africa Conference on e-Infrastructures. The second version of this Forum took place in February 2010 in Addis Ababa and was a considerable success. It is a unique opportunity to discuss recent developments and perspectives in the field.
The objectives of the Forum are the following:
- allow European and African stakeholders involved in the development of cooperation on ICT to get together;
- allow participants to exchange views, share information, and identify synergies in order to increase the impact of their activities;
- further support policy dialogues, apprehend medium- to long term perspectives and agree on an overall and coherent vision;
- give the highest visibility to ongoing initiatives addressing Euro-Africa S&T cooperation in ICT;
- increase the number of sub-Saharan organisations involved in EU/Framework Programme 7 collaborative projects on ICT research.
The 8th partnership of the Joint Africa-EU Strategy provides a long-term framework for structured dialogue and cooperation between Africa and the European Union in the fields of science, space and the information society. Science and information play an essential role for economic transformation in Africa and enhanced dialogue must be consolidated. Supporting the development of an inclusive information society in Africa may be a key enabler for poverty reduction, growth, and socioeconomic development. This partnership counts with the monitoring of the DG Information Society and Media (INFSO) of the European Commission, and the Human Resources, Science and Technology Department of the African Union Commission.
About 300 African and European key stakeholders from different institutions (private sector, higher education sector, national governments, international organisations, think tanks etc) are expected to attend this event.