The Africa-Europe Youth Summit is an integral part of the Joint Africa-EU Strategy (JAES). It brings together representatives of African, European and diaspora youth platforms and organisations with the objective of presenting their views on critical issues pertaining to youth on both continents to European and African leaders.
The Youth Summits aim to increase the participation of young people in Euro–African cooperation, to reinforce the youth work in both regions and to influence youth policy in African-European cooperation.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the needs and challenges of young people and youth civil society in Europe and Africa, including common and diverging themes, as well as potential avenues for solutions.
- Strengthen the framework for Africa-Europe youth dialogue and cooperation, leading to a rejuvenated and sustainable cooperation between African and European youth organisations.
- Develop a youth perspective on the priority areas and topics to be discussed at, and in the lead up to, the Heads of State Summit.
- Contribute to the development of a coherent and coordinated strategy on youth in the Africa-EU partnership, taking into account the relevant policy and political frameworks at both regional and global level.
Youth Summits traditionally take place in the run-up to the Africa-EU Summits of Heads of State and Government. They are facilitated by youth umbrella organisations, such as:
- European Youth Forum (YFJ);
- PanAfrican Youth Union (PYU) and Network of International Youth Organisation of Africa (NIYOA);
- African Diaspora Youth Network in Europe (ADYNE), African Diaspora Youth Forum in Europe (ADYFE) and African Caribbean Pacific Young Professionals Network (ACP-YPN).
- Advisory Council on Youth of the Council of Europe
- 1st Africa Europe Youth Summit in 2007 in Lisbon (Portugal) page 29-48 includes the declaration and address to the 2nd EU-Africa Heads of State Summit
- 2nd Africa Europe Youth Summit in 2010 in Tripoli (Libya). The Tripoli Declaration
- 3rd Africa-EU Youth Leaders' Summit in 2014 in Brussels (Belgium). See Summit paper, Flash report and pictures
- 4th Africa-Europe Youth Summit in 2017 in Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire). The Abidjan Declaration.
- Africa-Europe Training Courses for Youth Organisations where participants from youth organisations from both continents acquired knowledge and skills on how to strengthen their participation in the Africa-EU Strategic Partnership.
- Launch of the Africa-Europe Youth Platform (AEYP) led by the North-South Centre of the Council of Europe, in partnership with the African Union Commission and in cooperation with the European Youth Forum, the African Diaspora Youth Network in Europe and the Pan African Youth Union.
Africa-Europe Youth Summit - Programme