The annual meeting of the Colleges of the European Commission and the African Union Commission took place on 7 April at the Headquarters of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Participants reviewed the progress made since last year’s meeting, discussed common priorities and challenges, and launched preparatory work of the Africa-EU Summit in 2017 in Africa.
The topics were elaborated in detail during the course of a plenary session, co-chaired by the High Representative/Vice President Federica Mogherini and Chairperson Dlamini-Zuma, and in four parallel sessions. At the closing session, a Joint Communiqué was adopted within the respective competences of the two Commissions.
Participants praised the good atmosphere of the meeting as well as the broad closeness of views and approach between the two Colleges.
The European delegation was led by High Representative/Vice President (VP) Mrs Federica Mogherini and VPs Andrus Ansip and Valdis Dombrovskis, and Commissioners Mimica, Stylianides, Thyssen and Bulc. The African Union Commission was represented by Chairperson Dlamini-Zuma, Deputy Chairperson Erastus Mwencha, and Commissioners Anthony Maruping, Martial De-Paul Ikounga, Mahmoud Ahmed Ibrahim, Smail Chergui , Aisha L. Abdullahi, Mustapha Sidiki Kaloko and Fatima Haram Acyl.
- Joint Communiqué between the African Union Commission and the European Commission at their 8th College to College Meeting
- Video - Press conference by Hight Representative / Vice-President Mogherini and Chairperson Zuma
- Remarks by HRVP at the opening session of the African Union Commission and the European Commission College-to-College meeting, followed by Q/A at the Joint Press Conference
- Factsheet - The Africa-EU Partnership
- Joint EU-Africa Strategy (JAES)
- Page of the meeting in the African Union Commission website